Saturday, January 28, 2012

drinking

Almond milk, that is. We are primarily a dairy milk drinking family. I do, however, purchase the occasional carton of soy, rice, or almond milk. Last year, I experimented with homemade rice milk--it was an unanimous flop. This week, I gave almond milk a try. After soaking the almonds in water overnight, I rinsed them and popped them into the blender with water (1:4 ratio). Next, I poured the milk into a fine mesh bag and squeezed until the milk had separated from the pulp (pictured below). Back into the blender for a spin with a few pitted dates and a splash of vanilla and we were treated to a creamy, flavorful, nutritious drink. We do prefer it chilled and it is crazy good in smoothies. It looks like this will become part of the weekly routine around here. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the pulp--dehydrated or incorporated into some baked good, perhaps?



No comments: