Wednesday, January 11, 2012

the holder

Logan participated in the Student Inventors Fair this week. All fourth graders were asked to identify a problem, invent a solution, and create a presentation to be displayed in the school lobby.

The Problem:
My problem is that my p
iano books never stay open when I'm trying to play out of them.

Materials:
  • Three wooden Popsicle sticks
  • Two eight-inch pieces of Pex tubing
  • One thirteen-inch piece of Pex tubing
  • Four five-inch pieces of Pex tubing
  • Three PVC Tees
  • One metal L-bracket
  • One metal S-clip
  • One large binder clip
  • Three bolts
  • Three small hex nuts
My Solution: The Holder
I created a wooden “arm” constructed out of Popsicle sticks that is attached to the thirteen-inch piece of Pex tubing with a screw. The Popsicle sticks are hooked to each other with a bolt and a hex nut and at the end of the last stick I drilled a hole and attached an L-bracket using another bolt. I used this L-bracket to hold up an S-clip, which I clamped shut using a needle-nosed pliers. On the other end of the S-clip I hooked on a large binder clip, which could clamp onto the pages of the book you choose to hold open. Then I pinched the other end of the S-clip shut as well.

inventor at work

invention




No comments: